Somerset Golf Captains
Standing Order No 3 – Officers’ Duties
All officers of the Somerset Golf Captains will be or have been captain of a golf club affiliated to the Somerset Golf Union.
- To provide continuity of leadership to the Somerset Golf Captains
- To be the figurehead of Somerset Golf Captains
- The president will, in normal circumstances, have served at least one year as president-elect; and have been drawn from members who have served as Captain of Captains
- The president-elect should be nominated by the incumbent president and have the broad support of the managing committee of Somerset Golf Captains
- Represent the Somerset Golf Captains in the best possible light to the membership and outside bodies
- Chair meetings of the committee and sub-committees, Annual General Meeting, Special General Meeting
- Ensure decisions are carried out
- Ensure an annual dinner is organised and appoint a dinner chairman
- Liaise with officers on responses to letters and emails received by the Hon Secretary, Hon Treasurer and Hon Fixtures Secretary
- Provide support, advice and encouragement to other officers
- To represent Somerset Golf Captains at official functions when invited
- To give the president’s report at the Annual General Meeting.
- To maintain an overview of the Somerset Golf Captains and take appropriate measures to ensure its operational effectiveness as appropriate.
- Ex Officio of all committees and sub committees
- To deputise for the President
- The President elect will have been a past Captain of Captains
- To support the president.
- Attend committee meetings.
- Deputise in the absence of the president.
- Keep under consideration the workings of Somerset Golf Captains and bring forward suggestions to improve effectiveness as appropriate.
- To be the prime interface to recruit new Somerset Golf Captains members.
- Contact each golf club in Somerset to welcome their new captains and provide information regarding Somerset Golf Captains; send out invoice and tie (according to the traditions of the club).
- To lead the Somerset Golf Captains
- To be the face of the Somerset Golf Captains at all matches and events
- Principal PR person for the Somerset Golf Captains
- Lead the teams at competitive and friendly matches
- To host all visiting counties in matches and be the host of the annual dinner.
- Custodian of the “Somerset Golf Captains” flag, which should be raised at all home matches
- By invitation, to represent Somerset Golf Captains at external dinners and events
- Custodian of the “Somerset Golf Captains” camera and keeper of a “Somerset Golf Captains” debit card
- Give a report to the Annual General Meeting, and deliver the principal speech to the annual dinner.
- Deputise for the captain as required
- Participate fully in the affairs of the Somerset Golf Captains at committee meetings
- Be available to assist sub-committees
- Carry out such duties as the captain, president or committee may from time to time request
Honorary Fixtures Secretary
- Arrange matches with other counties on a home and away basis.
- With experience of the Somerset Golf Captains fixture list
- Organise Somerset home matches and arrangements for the day: light lunch, 18 holes of golf with 2 course dinner to complete the day.
- Communicate with captain, match manager, visiting team officials and host club managers to ensure the smooth organisation of each event.
- Should have appropriate administration experience
- To manage information and communicate effectively both internally and externally
- Attend and record and maintain minutes of all committee meetings
- Reply to all communications to Somerset Golf Captains.
- Notify all members of spring and autumn meetings, and the Annual General Meeting.
- Inform the captain of all invitations to any event where the captain is a guest.
- Be responsible for sales of “Somerset Golf Captains” sweaters, shirts, hats and windproof jackets, ties and bow ties.
- Obtain information for the president of newcomers present at Dinner
- Give report at Annual General Meeting.
- Keeper of trophies and resulting required engraving
Web Site Administrator
- The website should be updated when necessary with news, team selections, results, match reports and photographs.
- Liaise with the captain and selection committee on team selection
- Arrange and inform members of the initial selection for matches.
- Maintain and keep full details of all members.
- Experience in accounting systems
- Oversee finances and ensure the financial security and probity of the Somerset Golf Captains affairs
- Record expenditures
- Report state of accounts to committee.
- Prepare accounts for Annual General Meeting.
- Pay invoices for which Somerset Golf Captains are liable.
- Assist match managers by collecting match fee when attending a match
- Collect income from clothes sales and new members.
- Reconcile and report annual dinner finances
- To plan the annual dinner
- Manage and lead a dinner committee to assist in the arrangements
- Arrange venue, costs, menu, table layout, Speaker and Master of Ceremonies.
- Ensure invites sent to normal reciprocal guests
- Arrange timings for the event
- Keep the committee up to date with anticipated attendance numbers, etc.
- Collect money for event from attending members
- Pay all monies to the honorary treasurer and maintain accounts for same
All committee members should be prepared to act as match managers, as and when required.