- Update Saturday 2 February
The system went live this morning and over 200 registrations have already been entered! Although, on the whole, the system has coped well, we have had 2 or 3 teething problems which are described below in case you encountered any of these.
(1) Several members changed their passwords successfully; but one or two requested us to resend the “welcome email”. No problem – just email email@example.com with this or any other issues
(2) Initally, the system said that bookings for the Four Counties and Worcestershire were “closed”. Time to fess up. I didn’t set the “start date” properly. This has now been fixed; so if you tried and failed to register earlier in the day, please log on again and register as normal. No excuse, this was “human error” and I can only apologise.
(3) Some people may have had an error message to say the the system “could not generate emails”. This was a capacity issue imposed by our hosting company (250 emails per day) and the booking module which was sending me a copy of every email sent out. So 200 bookings generated 400 emails! This has now been sorted. We have switched off the automatic “copy” function and increased the daily email capacity to 900. Your requests will have been stored but not acknowledged. If you would like me to check on your behalf, drop me an email on firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you for your patience and understanding.
The Somerset Golf Captains Committee would like to wish all past and present Captains a healthy and happy New Year, including fun, friendship and low scores on the golf course.
We can now confirm our plans for team selection in the coming season. We have tested the on-line registration and selection facility on the website and we plan to go ahead as follows:
- The 2019 fixtures are already available on the website for you to download or print off.
- Registration for this year’s matches will open on Saturday 2 February 2019, the day after the Annual Dinner at Taunton Rugby Club.
- Registration will close as follows:
- Registration for the ”Six Counties” fixture at Saunton on 28thMarch will close on 28thFebruary; and the team selected will be contacted shortly afterwards
- Registration for all inter-county matches during the year will close on 31stMarch 2019. The selection Committee consisting of President, Vice-President, Secretary, Fixture Secretary and Captain will meet at the beginning of April and select teams for the rest of the year.
- Registration for the Spring meeting, Autumn meeting and any other internal “members’ events will stay open until the date of the event itself
- So, from 2ndFebruary onwards, you can log in to the website and register your availability for as many matches as you would like.
- NB: WHEN YOU DO SO, YOU WILL SEE A BOX ASKING YOU TO AGREE TO OUR “PRIVACY NOTICE’. UNLESS YOU HAVE ALREADY DONE SO, YOU MUST TICK THIS BOX, OTHERWISE YOUR REQUESTS WILL NOT BE RECORDED AND SAVED.
- Each time you make yourself available for selection, you will receive an automated reply from the website to confirm that your request is ‘pending’. You can take this as confirmation that your availability has been recorded and saved.
- When the teams are selected, you will receive one of two emails:
- EITHER: An automated email to confirm that you have been selected and further instructions about how to contact the match manager and confirm your availability for the match
- OR: An automated email to explain that, although you may not have been selected, we would like to keep your details on our ‘reserve list’ for that match. If we have to use the reserve list, priority will be given to those who were available but not originally selected for the fixture; and, within that, priority will also be given to those who have not previously played for SGC earlier in the year.
- At the same time, the teams selected will be available on the website with the contact details for the match manager, so that you can arrange to share transport and confirm with the match manager that you are still available.
- We recognise that this is all a brave new world, so (for this year only) we will offer you an alternative way of doing things. If you don’t want to use the online system this year, you can also email the list of matches for which you are available to email@example.com we will enter the registrations on your behalf; and after that, you will receive the automated emails in the same way as everyone else.
ANY QUESTIONS? If you have any problems at any time, or help with logging into the website; changing your password etc, please just email us on firstname.lastname@example.org. We want to help; we want to hear from you; and we want you be involved.
- Before Saturday 2 February, our advice would be for everyone to try logging into the website to check that everything works as it should (username, password) etc. If you have any problems, let us know on email@example.com
- Email messages have been known to go into SPAM folders, so please add these two email addresses to your list of contacts: firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com
Thank you for supporting Somerset Golf Captains.