The Somerset Golf Captains Executive Committee met (via Zoom) on Monday evening, the 24th of August. The minutes will be available on the website as soon as possible.
However, I wanted to contact you immediately to make you aware of two important decisions made at that meeting.
Autumn Meeting 24th of September 2020 at Worlebury Golf Club
The committee discussed at some length the prospects of going ahead with the Autumn Meeting at Worlebury Golf Club. The committee reviewed their current understanding of COVID arrangements and discussed an updated risk assessment based on a site visit a few days ago. The committee have always been keen to arrange at least one, or more, golf related events before the end of the season if possible. All golf clubs have developed COVID secure arrangements for arrival and for conduct on the golf course. So the focus for the committee was on dining arrangements which would allow the day to go ahead; with whatever additional mitigation measures were deemed necessary. During the discussion the following additional mitigation measures were agreed:
- Only two people from different households sitting at the same table
- Two other people (in the same fourball) could sit on an adjoining table provided there is separation between these tables.
- No presentation of prize giving
- Captains would be encouraged to depart as soon as they have finished their meal
- Each fourball to be allowed about an hour for their two-course meal. This should mean a maximum of 24 (or 28) diners in the restaurant at any one time. Worlebury has a seating capacity of 44 in the restaurant, so this should allow us to spread people out in a safely socially distanced way.
- Two members of the committee will be on hand to supervise the dining arrangements. This will include discouraging members from different four balls spending time together, and monitoring the number of people entering and leaving the restaurant at any one time
With these additional mitigation measures in place, the committee have decided that the Autumn Meeting will indeed go ahead on the 24th of September. The format will be 4BBB, at a cost of £35 per person to include coffee and bacon roll on arrival; 18 holes of golf and a two-course meal afterwards.
Those past captains who have already registered an interest (through the website) will be offered places autyomatically. If you no longer want to play, please cancel your registration, or email me on email@example.com.
If you have not yet registered and would like to play, please register your interest through the website, or alternatively contact me directly using the email address firstname.lastname@example.org.
Annual Dinner 2021 – Cancelled
In recent weeks, several other counties have cancelled their Annual Dinners due to COVID19. The committee recognised that current social distancing measures would significantly reduce the normal capacity for the event, and we could see no way of hosting an event which regularly attracts over 150 past captains. We were also reluctant to commit to certain items of expenditure which would not necessarily be refundable if the event had to be cancelled at a later date (e.g. after dinner speakers).
And so, given the current situation; the significant reduction in numbers which would be necessary to secure social distancing; the possibility of a second spike or further restrictions in the future; and the financial risks identified during the planning; the committee decided reluctantly, but unanimously, to cancel the Annual Dinner planned for February 2021. Planning will now commence for the Annual Dinner in 2022 which will mark the 60th anniversary of Somerset Golf Captains.
We all hope to be able to return to our normal programme of matches, meetings, and Annual Dinner, from next year onwards.
Somerset Golf Captains